In all my years of having ELA, my least favorite part of
the class was typing up and handing in a paper. I always got stressed out
whenever I heard that I had to write an extremely long reading response. It put
undue pressure on me, and I hated it. But this year, we did something
different. Our class wrote blog posts every other week. For me, this was a new
and liberating experience. Writing online liberated me from the stress that
handing in papers had always given me. I didn’t have as much anxiety as I’d had
in the past years. Writing online without a rigid set of instructions gave me
more freedom to write what I wanted to. It was better for me and my stress.
While writing online can be liberating, it can also be
limiting. Typing, for one thing, is very difficult for me. Another limiting
part of being online is the fact that anything that is put up there stay, forever.
That brings me to another topic. When people are online, they project
and create personalities that show the best, and worst, of themselves. Internet
trolls, for example, show the worst of everyone with their criticizing comments
online. At the same time, people take the time online to mold their writing and
presence online into a so-called “perfect” being. Flawless, because the person
online has scrutinized and edited their online self so that it seems perfect.
Back to the topic of the blog itself. Having a blog
forced and allowed me, at the same time, to read more books than I would have
usually read during the school year. It made me realize that I don’t read a lot
whenever I have school, and that I can and should read more, because I can
always make the time. In the future, I would love to either keep up this blog,
or start a new one. I love having a blog because it is easier for me that
handing in a physical paper. Also, blogs allow you to express your feelings in a
relatively safe environment. Having a blog was a great experience, and I thank
you for it.
No comments:
Post a Comment